Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Am I a failure if I don't get up EARLY?




*beep...beep...beep....*

5:00AM

I was out of bed

Shower - Check

Dressed for the day - Check

Backpack - Check

By 5:45AM I was sitting in the administration building having my devotions.

This was my life all through collage!

Today...

WHAT HAPPENED?

Life...

That's what happened...

Real life...

Babies...

Husband who works late...

A busy life....

For a long time I beat myself up every morning for not getting up earlier.

"Early to Bed Early to Rise, makes a Man HEALTHY, WEALTHY, and WISE."

These words would run through my mind.

I felt like a failure.

I felt like a bad wife.

I felt so un-spiritual.

But I was SO tired.

One morning it was like a light bulb was turned on in my brain.

Those words are not scripture, Rachel.

NO DUH!

Quite frankly God never promised that He would give us health and He never promised wealth.

He DID promise wisdom if we ask Him for it in faith!

"If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him." - James 1:5


He DID promise to supply our needs!

"But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus." - Philippians 4:19

"And God is able to make all grace abound toward you; that ye, always having all sufficiency in all things, may abound to every good work:" - 2 Corinthians 9:8



Benjamin Franklin is the man most associated with the saying, "early to bed, early to rise'', and he may not have even known Christ personally...only God knows his heart.

Though that little proverb may be good advice, it was just a man's advice.

So I stop to think...

What does God want from me?

What does He ask me to do?

God wants me to be faithful in what He has given me to do! 

1. God gave me a husband to care for and encourage and help.Right now that roll calls for me to stay up waiting for him to get home from a late night at work and spend some time talking to him and hearing about his day.

2. God gave me a little girl to care for physically and spiritually. Sometimes that means getting up multiple time throughout the night.

3. God wants me to walk with Him and get to know Him better.

Can I be faithful in these things without getting up early every morning?

Actually....YES.

In fact, where God has our family right now requires more late nights than early mornings.

I can fulfill my role as a wife better by staying up for my husband. In fact, it's better for our marriage for us to have time together after he gets home from work.

I can still fulfill my role as a mom. I need to be rested in order to take care of my little girl. Yes, with  a little one I need to be willing to get up during the night or in the early morning to care for her needs. But when she sleeps till 9:00 it may, in fact, be the wised things for me to get the rest that my body needs so I can be a better mom.

I can still walk with God and can still cultivate my relationship with Him. In fact, I've been able to be more consistent in my Scripture reading if I have that time in the evening after the baby is in bed as I wait for my husband to get home from work.

Dear Moms, please don't beat yourself up as I have done! Evaluate your roles. Be faithful in what God has given you to do whether that requires staying up late or getting up early!  Ask God for wisdom and thank Him for providing for your needs! Be compassionate and encouraging toward other mom's to be faithful in their roles whatever that may look like!

My life does not allow for me to live by that little proverb - early to bed early to rise - but God does not require it of me!

I don't need to feel like a failure, a bad wife or nonspiritual!

God can help me be a godly wife, godly mom and walk with Him day in and day out even when I go to bed late and get up late!

Thanks, God!


Feeling Thankful




















No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...